PRAY, BABY, PRAY
I am writing this blog for all people of our country (and those abroad who are burdened for our welfare). No matter how you voted, you must not be either complacent or depressed. Now that Mr. Obama has been elected, it is required that we pray for kings and those in authority. God sets up and God puts down. We also know that the heart of the king is in the hands of the Lord, and God can do with it what he wills.
I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— or kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior...
I Timothy 2:1-3a
Lord, we pray for our new President-Elect. We ask that you will protect him and shield him from those who may wish him harm. We ask that in areas where we has your heart, that you will give him the courage to prevail and to have great success. In areas where he is in rebellion against the righteousness of God, we ask that you will turn his heart to positions that are righteous in your sight. Most of all, we ask that you would bring Barack, Michelle, Malia, and Sasha to the foot of the cross so they can experience salvation from Jesus Christ. Create faith in Mr. Obama, so that he will believe the Bible, that he will believe that you died and were physically resurrected to save him from his sins, and that he will repent of any and all sins. Lord, we pray for your church so that we will intercede for him and seek to influence him for the kingdom of God.
We pray for peace. As Joe Biden prophesied, Obama is being tested very quickly. Russia waited only hours to threaten to put missiles along the Polish border. We pray that you will intervene in Putin's mind, as he is also under your control. Lord, give us a season of peace in the Middle East, and bring justice to every sphere in our country.
Lord, have mercy on our country. We have sinned greatly. We have tolerated much evil. We have tolerated abortion, witchcraft, homosexuality, filthy entertainment, corporate and individual greed, people asking their country to do for them as opposed to serving their country, people asking you to do for them as opposed to doing for you, and a failure to love our neighbor as ourselves. Lord, give us leaders who have your heart, and change the hearts of our leaders where they deviate from your standards. Cause us to be faithful citizens, involved in the public square and in the public debate, and give us courage.
Enable us to live peaceful and quiet lives free of persecution and marginalization. Cause your church to great favor and influence. Preserve our liberties - our cherished freedom of religion, freedom of the media, and freedom from tyranny. Protect us from all those from without and within who would seek to enslave or harm your people. Preserve Israel and guard her from all threats of annihilation or terrorism. Bring the Jewish people to faith in Christ. It is in the matchless name of Jesus that I pray, AMEN.
Here are a list of specific prayer requests that I believe are germane:
1) Pray that we live in peace.
2) Pray for those in the military to be safe.
3) Pray for Mr. Obama to choose his advisors wisely.
4) Pray for Mr. Obama to keep enemies of your Kingdom from influence.
5) Pray for Mr. Obama to realize it is YOU, not weapons that protect us.
6) Pray for the House and the Senate to change course from being on the wrong side of so many moral issues.
7) Pray for economic justice. That those who work will retain the fruit of their labor and that people will freely share of their own volition with the poor and the widow and the orphan.
8) Pray for Godly replacements for retiring Supreme Court justices.
9) Pray for Christian legislators to vote their conscience and not the party line.
10) Pray for Christians to go beyond party and vote for the best people.
11) Pray for the healing of families and churches where great division occurred during the election process.
12) Pray for John McCain and his family. Pray that he will come into a whole new relationship with Christ and be baptized as his wife has.
13) Pray for Sarah Palin and her family. Pray that she will have a fresh anointing of the Holy Spirit to be an excellent governor. Bring healing to Trig, as you heal birth defects as well as all manner of diseases.
14) Pray for Christian legislators to vote their conscience and not the party line.
15) Pray for voting reforms so that next time there will not be intimidation at the polls or corruption in the voting process.
16) Pray for voters to study to show themselves approved by God and as each election comes around, to vote with intelligence and under the unction of the Holy Spirit.
17) Pray for those who violate God’s unchanging standards and who are not a strong witness about Jesus Christ and what is important to him at work, in social situations, in government, in struggling or fallen churches and in the voting booth. Pray that we will live in true holiness and obedience to God at all times.